Who needs a blocked account?

You need a blocked account if you want to study in Germany and come from one of the following countries, for example:

  • Turkey
  • China
  • India
  • Russia
  • Ukraine
  • Cameroon
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco

In these and many other countries you need to prove your ability to support yourself during your stay in Germany when applying for a visa. The most common method to fulfill this requirement is opening a German blocked account. Please contact the responsible embassy or consulate general if you want to find out whether you need a blocked account for your visa.

If you come from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the USA or from a country of the "Schengen States", you only need a residence permit, no student visa and therefore no blocked account.

Are there any alternatives to a blocked account?

Opening a blocked account is not the only way you can prove that you can support yourself during your studies in Germany. The following options might be accepted, too:

  • proof of a scholarship,
  • a certified statement from parents, relatives or other close persons. This statement must include a statutory commitment by the close person to provide financially for you. Additionally, the person responsible for supporting you needs to provide proof of income.

Please note: proof of student employment or other minor employment in Germany is usually not officially accepted as proof of the ability to support yourself.

Opening a German blocked account is the easiest and quickest way for most people to prove that they are able to support themselves and thus fulfill an important prerequisite for their visa application. Opening a GBA Blocked Account is an especially quick and inexpensive solution.

Do you need a visa for your stay in Germany?

If you do not know whether you need a visa for your stay in Germany, please look at this official list of the Federal Foreign Office. Here you can find all countries for which a visa is required as well as additional information.

Why not just check it out?

Just click on "Open blocked account" and check out the registration process. You will see that we will clarify relevant questions with you before asking for any contact data. Don't worry: before you really open your account, this will be pointed out to you clearly and explicitly. Just check it out.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

T +49 2247 9194-995


If you have already transferred the blocked amount, please contact our partner Expatrio with any questions.